Skip to main

Old Dutch Church

Originally part of Philipsburg Manor, the Old Dutch Church was built with the labor of African captives who were enslaved by Frederick Philipse.

The Old Dutch Church was founded in 1685 and formally organized as a Dutch Reformed congregation in 1697. It served as that congregation's home for more than 150 years, until a new building was constructed in nearby Tarrytown.

Frederick Philipse commissioned the church for the tenants of Philipsburg Manor. Eight African captives enslaved by Philipse built the church as well as the Philipse manor house, farm, and mill.

The churchyard at the Old Dutch Church was the burying ground of a number of Dutch settlers, including Philipse. Church documents and Philipse family papers do not indicate whether the churchyard also served as the resting place for the enslaved individuals at Philipsburg Manor.

00 of 00