Discover some of the colonial sites related to the individuals and stories in People Not Property, and follow the links for visitor information.
Philipsburg Manor Upper Mills was a thriving farm, mill, and trading center in the Hudson Valley owned by the Philipses, an influential New York family of merchants and traders.
The 18th-century home of New York State’s first Lieutenant Governor, his family, and the enslaved Africans who worked there.
Located in Cos Cob, Connecticut, the Bush-Holley House was the 18th-century home of the Bush family and ten enslaved individuals.
The Ashley House in Sheffield, MA, was the residence of Colonel John Ashley, a prominent county judge, and five enslaved men and women.
In the eighteenth century, Isaac Royall, Jr.’s Medford estate included the largest community of African captives in Massachusetts.
The Moffatt-Ladd House was owned by enslaver William Whipple, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
A commemorative park on Chestnut Street in downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, marks the location of the 18th-century “Negro Burying Ground,” a final resting place for enslaved individuals.
Merchant and enslaver William Trent lived in this estate outside of Trenton, New Jersey, with his family and eleven enslaved individuals of African descent.
The African Burial Ground is considered the oldest and largest excavated burial site in North America for both free and enslaved Africans.
Located in Lloyd Harbor on Long Island, New York, Joseph Lloyd Manor was the residence of the enslaved poet Jupiter Hammon and his enslaver, Joseph Lloyd.
The Joshua Hempsted House in New London, Connecticut, was home to the Hempsted family and Adam Jackson, an enslaved man who lived and worked there for three decades.
Originally part of Philipsburg Manor, the Old Dutch Church was built with the labor of African captives who were enslaved by Frederick Philipse.
Philipse Manor Hall in Yonkers, New York, was once part of the Westchester plantation of Frederick Philipse (1626–1702), a Dutch merchant and slave trader.
Revolutionary War general Philip J. Schuyler enslaved as many as thirty-eight laborers at this Albany estate and his Saratoga farm and mill.
The full story of the Chew family’s fortunes uncovers the lives of enslaved individuals who lived and worked at this Germantown, Pennsylvania site.
The riverside home of William Penn, the founder of the colonial Province of Pennsylvania, Pennsbury Manor was a seat of power in colonial Pennsylvania and the residence of a number of enslaved men and women.
George Washington lived in the Presidential Mansion in Philadelphia in the years following the American Revolution with his wife, Martha, and a total of nine enslaved people.
Built some five miles from Philadelphia for politician and enslaver James Logan, Stenton served as a rural retreat and plantation that was operated by enslaved and indentured people.
The John Brown House was built in 1788 by merchant, politician, and slave trader John Brown.
The Old Constitution House in Windsor, Vermont, was the site of the writing of Vermont’s constitution, which included a provision on ending slavery.